Difference at Work

     In my four years at CMU, I have learned a decent amount of information about diversity in work and schooling environments. This has consisted mainly of the ways in which cultures differ in how they communicate and work in any environment. Last semester I had an assignment on how different cultures communicate where I observed three meetings of CMU's International Student Association, as almost everyone in the group came from a different country and culture.  

     Although that was a student led group, each meeting was ran in the same way a business would run a meeting as they had a person in charge and everyone had their own specific tasks and because of their diversity, they were able to think of diverse ways things could be done or alternative ways to improve something that they have already done.  

    Having a diverse group like this is beneficial in a work/schooling environment as everyone brings a new perspective that others may not have thought of. In my own work experience, I have worked with only two people that did not come from the same background as I did. 

    Unfortunately, I could not help them with everything and vice versa with our jobs because of our positions, but we helped each other out by bringing innovative ideas to the table that they may not have thought of before. Diversity will be beneficial in a work environment for all the reasons that I have listed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Portfolio Post!

Leadership Communication and Crises

HR School