Science of Persuasion

What persuasion environments have I worked in? I have worked in situations that have run a few different principles. One of these principles is the Principle of Liking. This principle revolves around people liking those who like them. In my experience, this only works for a short amount of time before something goes wrong or actions show the opposite of first impressions. This is never a good setting to be in as it usually leads to the manager trying to be your friend rather than your boss, which in turns puts less importance to a job well done and the business itself. I currently work in a social proof and reciprocal settings. The reciprocity setting is good to be in because you get what you want to receive. If I want feedback, I go and ask for it or my manager calls me in to give me feedback they think I need, and we both give and receive each other respect for any aspect of the job. In the social proof setting, "People follow the lead of similar others." (HBR) In my current job, my coworker and I follow our manager as he is similar to us. This can be good or bad because sometimes we can follow the wrong people which will not get you further in that business or will be worse for the business itself. Each principle has its pros and cons, it is just about figuring out for yourself which one your manager uses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HR School

Leadership Communication and Crises

Final Portfolio Post!